Sunday, October 5, 2014

Our Israelites

 
So rocking was the summer of 1968 that, when I was eleven at Boyscout camp, my whole troop hoisted my tent flaps at 6:30 a.m. as I sang The Israelites at the top of my lungs and danced. No self-respecting Boyscout had ever heard this music, much less seen a strange Jew singing and dancing it as it rained torrentially in Stokes State Forest, New Jersey. Let's just say that I was driven out of camp for doing a "strip tease" unbecoming of the reigning creed.

The question remains, do you remember the days of slavery?* At eleven I had no idea what "Israelites" Desmond Dekker was talking about, except, that in my little head, I was one of them. We had celebrated Passover only a couple months before and all I was thinking about were the Exodus and Promised Land stories. Well, it wasn't coincidence that so was Desmond Dekker.

*see Burning Spear.

No comments: