Friday, October 28, 2011

Eulogy for My Mother, June 2, 2011

Three years ago, my mother wrote to Rabbi Gerald Zelizer when she discovered she had cancer. She told him that she wanted no eulogy at her funeral.

My mother was selfless and private; she had no wish that her virtues be proclaimed in public. I want to respect that--never mind that I probably could not get through a eulogy today.

Three years ago, no one could turn off my tongue. At this point in my journey, I find myself speechless, except that I know in my heart that my mother was the most decent and caring person I ever knew, an angelic soul.

Still, it seems only just that my mother be praised in direct proportion to the magnitude of her humility.

So, please allow me to rely upon someone else’s words to do so. In Proverbs, known more for the sayings of Solomon, are also the “words of King Lemuel,” from a vision Lemuel’s mother instructed him to relate.

Please read responsively with me Lemuel’s Praise of the Virtuous Woman.

* * * * * * *

* * * * * * *

Mom, I am so grateful for your unconditional love. It’s the heart of the matter and it’s what has made me who I am.

No comments: