Monday, August 18, 2008

Manny became a Team Leader this Season: A Letter from Coach Joe




Manny,
I have to admit, at our first practice I thought I had a trouble maker on my team. I thought I had a kid who was talented but didn't want to listen to the coach. Then something happened: I talked to you and you listened and you acted like a real ballplayer.

Manny, there's a lot of ways to measure success. I watched you become a team leader this season. We both knew you could hit and field and pitch. I heard you talk to some of your teammates with encouraging words. I watched you coach third base and take charge. I watched you do so many little things that it takes to become a real ball player and not just someone who plays ball. You were a complete success this year. You played exceptionally well and you were an exceptional teammate!

I am very proud to have coached you this year. I know our last game did not go the way you wanted it to. I think you put a little too much pressure on yourself. You're very good, but not perfect. Certainly, you still have a little ways to go in being a team leader. Wearing a catcher's mitt in practice probably wasn't a good example to set. But I know teenagers who wouldn't have been able to do what you did this year in terms of helping your teammates and taking charge on the field.

Thanks for a great season!

I'll see you at the picnic when I get to give you your trophy!

Coach Joe

1 comment:

Shelli said...

Manny, we are SO proud of you, and can't wait to see you again.

Much love, your cousins, Shelli, Narda and Malka!